AESTHETIC ORGANIZATION FOR DESKS

HEY YOU! 

Do you find that your desk is constantly unorganized? Having so many items on your desk but never having anywhere to actually put them?  Do you wish that you too could have one of those amazing desk areas that you see plastered all over Instagram and Pinterest? If so, I used to be in your shoes, and understand how you feel, but after achieving my goal of having a cute but functional work space, I thought that I would share my ideas with you so that you too can study or work in style!

STEP ONE: SORT WHAT YOU HAVE

Now I am not going to even try and lie to you. When it comes to stationery, I have a MASSIVE problem. I literally hoard anything that I find cute, and I shop way more often than I should. But it isn't my fault that so many stores have such amazing cute things right? I know, I am truly sad, and as you can see in the photo below, I am a hoarder of some sort. 
My absolute favorite pens for everyday writing and studying!

WHAT A HORRIFIC SIGHT TO THE NAKED EYE
Decluttering your stuff is not a task for the faint of heart. You truly need to sit down with some nice music and spend some time going through what you need and don't need. Clearly I need everything in this picture but I digress. Sort out all of your loose papers, washi tapes, pens, EVERYTHING. We need to essentially start from scratch.  

STEP TWO: STORAGE

Now that we have literally made a bigger mess than before, We can actually start getting to work! Lets head to the shops and start looking for storage solutions. Now you are completely free to organize with whatever containers you like, but I find that make-up organizers do the best job. They are sturdy, large, and see-through, which allows you to be conscious of the amount of stuff that you have and how you tend to place it. 
Now if you are as eager as I was to start organizing, then you would know that acrylic makeup storage can get real pricey, real fast. Most sites will make you spend 30 to 50 dollars on one storage container! ONE! Some even go beyond 100 dollars. That's absolutely ludicrous, so being the frugal person I am, I looked at my many alternatives. Lets take a look at what I found!
So Shiny!
This lipstick organizer that I found was at Riley Rose for only 3 dollars! It may seem odd now but these hold lots of markers really well.

This organizer was actually 22 dollars from amazon, and it was prime! This is actually a very large container for only 22 dollars, and I was shocked by it size and capacity when I began to fill it. If you would like the same one you can buy it here!
Other places that I have checked acrylic storage are Forever21 and Homegoods. Forever21 actually hasgreat prices, but their acrylic is slightly thinner than Amazon grade products. The Dollar Tree actually has containers too, and although they are not acrylic, they sure do get the job done. 

STEP THREE: FILL EM UP!

This is the most fun part of the entire process, which is filling up your new containers! When you fill them. Start with your most essential items first, so any items that you use everyday, pencils, tape, ect. You want this stuff to be near the front of your containers so that is easily accessible. Then proceed to fill the rest of the space up with things that you commonly use but may not need as often. Remember that it is okay to still have some empty spaces, and that not every compartment HAS to be filled. Anything that you don't want, don't use, or won't fit should be given away to family, friends, or your local charity shop. Do you best not to trash anything, and instead give your unwanted items a new home. 
Here is how I decided to fill my organizers, and the set up turned out pretty good for my daily use and routine!
I used this one to organize my colored pencils, highlighters, and some washi tape. I also have some tools here that I find myself picking up multiple times a day. 
Look at how good these pens look in that lipstick organizer!


You can choose to organize like how I did, or do it in a completely different way, it is up to you! My biggest suggestion is set things up in a way that is practical for your, so that you can get the best use out of your desk. The thing I love about acrylic is that it stores all of my stuff well, and it also show cases my stuff gorgeously. It additionally makes me aware of how much stuff I actually have, which helps with that mild hoarding problem that I mentioned earlier. Just spread you organizers evenly along your desk and BAAM, you have got a gorgeous and functional work space. Don't forget to spice it up with some little decor elements that represent you! I hope you enjoyed this, and if you try any of these tips, tag me in a post on Instagram! I love seeing what other people can make when they get inspired! Happy organizing, and Stay Sweet! 

This is how it turned out, what do you think? I love it! ^-^

Storage drawers from Homegoods, I filled it with WAY too many sticky notes and washi tapes.

Comments